Jump to content

Quitting Social Media


Erosadams
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey monsters, I quit social media (for now) and I’ve been focusing on looking at things, observing, listening. I’m replaying the chromatica interviews and album and it’s so much fun without all the noise. How are y’all doing?

Edited by little_monster_amy
No tag
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Matt changed the title to Quitting Social Media
  • ★ Senior Moderator

I think it's a great thing to do from time to time. Sometimes social media can be overwhelming and ruthless.

I'm glad you're having fun that way!

  • Love 1

another shot before we kiss the otherside!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ★ Moderator

Yes, social media can be a bit overwhelming at times, although I'll admit I've been spending way more time on it during lockdown than I ever did before. It can be difficult for me to take a break from it bc it's the only way I can keep in touch with my irl friends during the pandemic. This might sound silly, but another thing that's making it difficult for me to take a break from social media is that I'm afraid to miss anything my favourite celebrities announce on there 😅😂. I'm also a moderator on a lot of fandoms, aside from this one, that require quite a lot of care at times, but although it can be quite time consuming, I really enjoy moderating all of the fandoms, including this one 🥰🥰. And I do try to take a few breaks during the day, even if it's just to do something as simple as playing with my dog or watching one of my favourite movies, or playing the piano or singing 🙃

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, little_monster_amy said:

Yes, social media can be a bit overwhelming at times, although I'll admit I've been spending way more time on it during lockdown than I ever did before. It can be difficult for me to take a break from it bc it's the only way I can keep in touch with my irl friends during the pandemic. This might sound silly, but another thing that's making it difficult for me to take a break from social media is that I'm afraid to miss anything my favourite celebrities announce on there 😅😂. I'm also a moderator on a lot of fandoms, aside from this one, that require quite a lot of care at times, but although it can be quite time consuming, I really enjoy moderating all of the fandoms, including this one 🥰🥰. And I do try to take a few breaks during the day, even if it's just to do something as simple as playing with my dog or watching one of my favourite movies, or playing the piano or singing 🙃

I think it's very healthy to quit social media sometimes. Especially if you feel the need to , social media are very addictive so it's a big thing if you found the strength to quit sometimes 👍

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, little_monster_amy said:

Yes, social media can be a bit overwhelming at times, although I'll admit I've been spending way more time on it during lockdown than I ever did before. It can be difficult for me to take a break from it bc it's the only way I can keep in touch with my irl friends during the pandemic. This might sound silly, but another thing that's making it difficult for me to take a break from social media is that I'm afraid to miss anything my favourite celebrities announce on there 😅😂. I'm also a moderator on a lot of fandoms, aside from this one, that require quite a lot of care at times, but although it can be quite time consuming, I really enjoy moderating all of the fandoms, including this one 🥰🥰. And I do try to take a few breaks during the day, even if it's just to do something as simple as playing with my dog or watching one of my favourite movies, or playing the piano or singing 🙃

I definitely know what you mean. Whenever I tried deactivating my accounts in the past, fb would always remind me “but what about your page?” or “what about your friends?”. But tbh since the beginning of the pandemic I’ve been on social media non-stop as if any time I refreshed the page I thought I was going to  find out something major, which never happened. 
I think real friends are different from followers or online friends; meaning a real friend will text/call you. We don’t need social media to be in contact with our friends, we can always use the tools we had before the Internet era. 
as for keeping up with your fave I come on this app to see what’s new with Gaga. 
🖤🖤🖤

44 minutes ago, Adeline said:

I think it's very healthy to quit social media sometimes. Especially if you feel the need to , social media are very addictive so it's a big thing if you found the strength to quit sometimes 👍

Thanks!! I think everyone needs to take a break and watch the world with their own eyes instead of looking at it through a screen. There’s a lot that we are missing out on because of this machine that most of us are addicted to.

paws up

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Erosadams said:

 

Thanks!! I think everyone needs to take a break and watch the world with their own eyes instead of looking at it through a screen. There’s a lot that we are missing out on because of this machine that most of us are addicted to.

paws up

I think your right 🙃 also sometimes it's just changing the way you use it . Not following everybody,  choose carefully the people you want to look at and unfollow everyone who spreads things you don't like 🙂

24 minutes ago, Adeline said:

I think your right 🙃 also sometimes it's just changing the way you use it . Not following everybody,  choose carefully the people you want to look at and unfollow everyone who spreads things you don't like 🙂

Also, I have LGNon pop up,  so , If anything happens I will know it.  I don't have to check all day, and anyway I only trust them for the info,  I rather not see the other ones because often its fake news lol

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's a good decision. I want to sometimes try that but most of my friends are online and there's no other way for me to interact with themxso that's the only thing that keeps me away from doing that! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • ★ Senior Moderator
19 hours ago, Erosadams said:

Hey monsters, I quit social media (for now) and I’ve been focusing on looking at things, observing, listening. I’m replaying the chromatica interviews and album and it’s so much fun without all the noise. How are y’all doing?

I've been thinking on doing it too. My anxiety has been worse, but the gym helps me a lot. I hope you're doing okay. :kiss:

  • Love 1

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish I would be able to do it too one day. Not just social media but everything! I wish I would go to a place for a few days, where I don't have internet connection and see how I'm doing 😂

However, like @little_monster_amy said, now it's the only way to stay in touch with friends, during this pandemic. I would totally go crazy if I couldn't use social media (or the internet in general) right now when I have nothing to do but stay at home....Social Media help me to escape and see things I like, keep in touch with friends, discuss, and get distracted from the whole situation.

But I believe being away from social media for some time would be very helpful and healing and everybody should try at least once. I would like to try, when the situation will get better...

On 3/30/2021 at 11:50 PM, little_monster_amy said:

This might sound silly, but another thing that's making it difficult for me to take a break from social media is that I'm afraid to miss anything my favourite celebrities announce on there 😅😂.

Saaaaame 😂😂😂

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I spent 7 months with just 1 hour of internet per day (internet plans can be very expensive in some countries 😅) and felt really well!

Right now I can have a connection 24/7 but I can keep it under control... and I'm glad for it! For example I don't like eating, walking or being around people looking at my phone... or I don't like to look at it before I finish eating my breakfast 🤔

I guess it's good to take a break from social medias and the internet in general! There's so much around us and getting a bit bored isn't always a bad thing!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gia said:

I spent 7 months with just 1 hour of internet per day (internet plans can be very expensive in some countries 😅) and felt really well!

Right now I can have a connection 24/7 but I can keep it under control... and I'm glad for it! For example I don't like eating, walking or being around people looking at my phone... or I don't like to look at it before I finish eating my breakfast 🤔

I guess it's good to take a break from social medias and the internet in general! There's so much around us and getting a bit bored isn't always a bad thing!

You have a strong mind lol it's good habits that you have !  I'm not on my phone when I'm not alone too but when I'm home in a bit addicte to it .. I can live without internet,  at least not on my computer 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gia said:

I spent 7 months with just 1 hour of internet per day (internet plans can be very expensive in some countries 😅) and felt really well!

Right now I can have a connection 24/7 but I can keep it under control... and I'm glad for it! For example I don't like eating, walking or being around people looking at my phone... or I don't like to look at it before I finish eating my breakfast 🤔

I guess it's good to take a break from social medias and the internet in general! There's so much around us and getting a bit bored isn't always a bad thing!

Lucky you, I always have my phone with me...and the thing is that I like to be on my phone so I can't keep it away away :lol: ugh...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 4/4/2021 at 12:11 PM, Giulia Monster said:

I wish I would be able to do it too one day. Not just social media but everything! I wish I would go to a place for a few days, where I don't have internet connection and see how I'm doing 😂

However, like @little_monster_amy said, now it's the only way to stay in touch with friends, during this pandemic. I would totally go crazy if I couldn't use social media (or the internet in general) right now when I have nothing to do but stay at home....Social Media help me to escape and see things I like, keep in touch with friends, discuss, and get distracted from the whole situation.

But I believe being away from social media for some time would be very helpful and healing and everybody should try at least once. I would like to try, when the situation will get better...

Saaaaame 😂😂😂

I don’t think social media is the only way to stay in touch with friends. You can text, facetime or call a friend. You don’t need to see their selfies to keep in touch. 
If you look at social media a little bit it’s ok, but if you’re scrolling all day long looking at things that aren’t even “real” I think it gets too much at some point.

I am using my time to listen to podcasts, watch series, and take long walks. And I’m spending less time staring at my phone. 
 

 

Edited by Erosadams
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Erosadams said:

I don’t think social media is that only way to stay in touch with friends. You can’t text, facetime or call a friend. You don’t need to see their selfies to keep in touch. 
If you look at social media a little bit it’s ok, but if you’re scrolling all day long looking at things that aren’t even “real” I think it gets too much at some point.

I am using my time to listen to podcasts, watch series, and take long walks. And I’m spending less time staring at my phone. 
 

 

When your friends are in an other country its not that easy to stay in touch without social medias but you can just use app who are just got talking. It's all about how you use it and for how long for sure tho 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Giulia Monster said:

Lucky you, I always have my phone with me...and the thing is that I like to be on my phone so I can't keep it away away :lol: ugh...

hahah if you don't get fed up that's fine... But if you feel it becomes too much you can try to "(dis)associate" it from actions... as in you know that when you do X you don't do it looking at your phone... For example eating or sitting on the couch... 

Edited by gia
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love to detox from social media. Actually, I really admire those who are doing it / did it. The amount of negativity I get from just scrolling my Twitter is appaling and can really switch my mood. I'd love to reach a status where I can proudly say "those thing do not affect me", but it's just unrealistic: everything we see, read or hear affects us, even if it's just a small and stupid thing. 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, danibon1 said:

I'd love to detox from social media. Actually, I really admire those who are doing it / did it. The amount of negativity I get from just scrolling my Twitter is appaling and can really switch my mood. I'd love to reach a status where I can proudly say "those thing do not affect me", but it's just unrealistic: everything we see, read or hear affects us, even if it's just a small and stupid thing. 

That's true but you can decide what you read, see and hear :) If I was you I would start by unfollowing a few people on Twitter!! 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, gia said:

That's true but you can decide what you read, see and hear :) If I was you I would start by unfollowing a few people on Twitter!! 

most of the times I'm triggered by random tweets by people I don't even follow... even if I click on "not interested in this tweet" :(

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gia said:

hahah if you don't get fed up that's fine... But if you feel it becomes too much you can try to "(dis)associate" it from actions... as in you know that when you do X you don't do it looking at your phone... For example eating or sitting on the couch... 

I have to try. Right now I'm not fed up, but sometimes I feel that way. I always check my phone while I'm eating (only when I eat alone) simply cause I get bored staring at the wall. But I'm pretty "sad" thinking about when I was younger and didn't have a phone, that wasn't a problem for me, and I didn't get "bored" while eating alone. So I wish I didn't have that feeling of boredom and the constant need to check my phone 😟

But I think the biggest problem is when you get distracted while you are studying or working at home, and that has a negative effect on your work cause you waste your time and get frustrated...that's the worst for me, cause I often waste time and I hate it 🤦🏻‍♀️  

When I say checking my phone that obviously means checking social media.

1 hour ago, gia said:

If I was you I would start by unfollowing a few people on Twitter!! 

I recommend that too, I did it as well and it's not that bas anymore :) @danibon1

Edited by Giulia Monster
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Giulia Monster said:

I have to try. Right now I'm not fed up, but sometimes I feel that way. I always check my phone while I'm eating (only when I eat alone) simply cause I get bored staring at the wall. But I'm pretty "sad" thinking about when I was younger and didn't have a phone, that wasn't a problem for me, and I didn't get "bored" while eating alone. So I wish I didn't have that feeling of boredom and the constant need to check my phone 😟

But I think the biggest problem is when you get distracted while you are studying or working at home, and that has a negative effect on your work cause you waste your time and get frustrated...that's the worst for me, cause I often waste time and I hate it 🤦🏻‍♀️  

When I say checking my phone that obviously means checking social media.

I understand... I do believe we end up scrolling social medias just because we are bored and we look for something to feed our brain. Even if most of the time they are meaningless things. 

I do get bored don't get me wrong 😂 but I think it's good anyway. When you get bored is when your creativity gets boosted the most! 

I like to eat and focus on what I'm eating to be honest haha then I might get bored but my head starts thinking and I come up with some ideas! For example last week I decided I want to try grow carrots indoor in empty milk boxes 😂 I know, I am weird... 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gia said:

For example last week I decided I want to try grow carrots indoor in empty milk boxes 😂 I know, I am weird... 

Omg hahha, that's cool tho. I used to read cereal boxes while eating breakfast when I was a kid lmao!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Giulia Monster said:

Omg hahha, that's cool tho. I used to read cereal boxes while eating breakfast when I was a kid lmao!!!!

hahaha you can still do it! They still write random stuff 😂 but my favourite ones will always be the labels on the bottles of conditioner...

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Giulia Monster said:

I recommend that too, I did it as well and it's not that bas anymore :)

well I just unfollowed so many people lol, my Twitter feed feels kinda naked XD. I hope it will help me.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, danibon1 said:

well I just unfollowed so many people lol, my Twitter feed feels kinda naked XD. I hope it will help me.

Good job! I'm pretty sure it will 😂 But seriously, you shouldn't let social medias change your mood...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gia said:

But seriously, you shouldn't let social medias change your mood...

I'll work on it... most of the people on social media write anger-filled stuff which really upsets my mood. :crying:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...