Zayn Malik calls out the Grammys

Tony

• ★ Senior Moderator
Posted (edited)

Zayn Malik, former One Direction member, isn't known to be a big sharer. So when he recently went off on The Grammy Awards, which air on Sunday, he definitely made himself heard.

As you can probably guess, Malik wasn't nominated for a 2021 Grammy. The 28-year-old singer's third album, Nobody Is Listening, missed the eligibility period (September 1, 2019 to August 31, 2020) when it was released in January 2021, as well as its first single, "Better," which dropped a month after the deadline. In fact, he hasn't been nominated ever. His 2018 collaboration with Taylor Swift, "I Don't Wanna Live Forever" (nominated for Best Song Written for Visual Media) was credited to songwriters Swift, Jack Antonoff and Sam Dew, and because of his stint in One Direction, he wasn't eligible for the Best New Artist award in 2017.

Source

Edited by Tony
  • Love 1
  • TEA 1

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

There's definitely corruption in the Grammy system but unfortunately it's still the biggest and most prestigious music award. Some Grammys winners are totally well-deserved but many others amazing artists never win or even get any nominations. I hope that with more and more artists call out about this three will be an ultimate change in the system or there will be a more fair award that truly recognize talents and impacts.

• TEA 1

The Grammy's really unfair. He's not lying about that, there's a lot of favoritism and people who really deserved to win aren't even nominated. And that sucks. But there's nothing we can do about it, I guess... After all, there's a whole industry behind it and it's not actually all about the art itself.

The Grammy's is corrupted. Like many music award. It's sad because it's the most prestigious one and many talented artist have nerver been nominated. This need to change,  there are many people who are beginning to call out.

2 hours ago, Loloreanne said:

The Grammy's is corrupted. Like many music award. It's sad because it's the most prestigious one and many talented artist have nerver been nominated. This need to change,  there are many people who are beginning to call out.

Yeah, but it sadly won't give any recognition to lots of artists who weren't nominated as they deserved in the past. Like, there are huge artists like Madonna who were so snubbed by them. And I'm not saying this just because she's a really famous artist, because there are many pop artists out there completely overrated and favored by the Grammy's. But she's one of those artists who really crafts their art, she has a legacy, being impactful on so many levels. Just like Gaga. Gaga only started to get really praised post-2015, especially in the ASIB era (not saying she's not praised and that she has no grammys, 'cuz she has, but her 2009-2011 was HUGE, she was so impactful and this wasn't even recognized the way it should!). It's like, they just go to recognize artists based on their own criteria (which is so subjective sometimes) and that has a lot to do with contracts and money and the whole music industry. Like, ARTPOP only started to get recognition when Gaga released Joanne, ASIB, sang the National Anthem on SB, Sound of Music on the Grammys, received an Oscar... Now they're saying they were wrong and AP is actually a masterpiece. But why?

Also, there's the problem with less known talented artists and those alternative ones who aren't known by the GP. They sometimes recognize them, but many times they don't. After all, everything's so confusing that I really think we shouldn't care about it that much. This thing with judging and giving awards is great, but it's also really bad. It creates an image that awards define your art, when they don't.

2 hours ago, Loloreanne said:

lol sorry if I talked too much mentioning you, I should've just made a reply of my own :DerpGa:

• Love 1

I don't think the Grammys are good. It's annoying when people who clearly don't deserve a nomination get one over other talented artists. I think they need a reform or something if they want to keep going in the future 

On 3/12/2021 at 6:45 PM, FilthyPop said:

lol sorry if I talked too much mentioning you, I should've just made a reply of my own :DerpGa:

Don't worry😂 your answer was really interresting. I totaly agree with you.

• 5 weeks later...

I know I shouldn't be the one to say this, but I think Zayn is the last person to call out the grammys because he ougthn't win one imo. Like, he's talented and all but if someone was indeed snubbed, it was The Weeknd plus the way he acted was way more dignified, Zayn acted as if they owe him anything. Idk maybe it's just me but that's my take on all of this.