WhatsApp Working on Password-Protected Encrypted Backups

• ★ Moderator
Posted (edited)

spacer.png

WhatsApp is bringing password-protected, encrypted chat backups for iCloud and Google Drive, according to a report. The new update, which is said to be currently in the works, would allow users to keep their WhatsApp chat backups protected from unauthorised access by using a password. Right now, your chats are end-to-end encrypted on your phone and that of the people you're talking to - but once you back up the chats, this is no longer the case. This has been a concern many privacy activists have raised in the past.

WhatsApp features tracker WABetaInfo has reported that password-protected, encrypted cloud backups feature is in the works. It has also shared some screenshots that show how the new feature could work in the app.

Read More.

Edited by tony
  • Love 2

Lady's got a killer groove, and you've got a lot to lose

7G3wb4h.thumb.jpg.1cfa3e879de23f89cf653ce739649bbb.jpg

• ★ Administrator

This should really make people think. Encrypted backups should be the normality. Having "not encrypted" backups means that anyone with access to Whatsapp servers can see and watch all our pictures, videos and conversations. I don't understand why people just don't use Telegram, it's way safer and light years forward.

• Love 1
  • TEA 1
  • ★ Moderator
1 hour ago, Matt said:

This should really make people think. Encrypted backups should be the normality. Having "not encrypted" backups means that anyone with access to Whatsapp servers can see and watch all our pictures, videos and conversations. I don't understand why people just don't use Telegram, it's way safer and light years forward.

Exactly. I’ve never done a backup on whatsapp. I just do it manually on important chats because of the media. I’ve always used telegram since it came out. It’s very convenient. And of course, I’m subscribed on LGN’s channel. 💁🏻‍♂️

Lady's got a killer groove, and you've got a lot to lose

7G3wb4h.thumb.jpg.1cfa3e879de23f89cf653ce739649bbb.jpg

I didn't know that, but I don't use Whatssapp much. In Poland we all just use Messenger of Facebook. It's the most popular messenger, but unfortunately it's probably not the safest....