Your Opinion on the Upcoming "Wizard of Oz" Remake

little_monster_amy

• ★ Moderator

Hi Monsters! It's just been announced that there will be another remake of the 1939 film "The Wizard of Oz", which starred Judy Garland,  Ray Bolger,  Jack Haley & Bert Lahr . It will be released by New Line Cinema and directed by Nicole Kassel.  No cast and/or release date have been announced yet. 

Honestly, I'm not too sure what I should think of this at the moment. In a way, I think they should leave it alone now, since many people consider it to be a classic. And I think they should think of a new film.  But in a way, it might be interesting to see another take on the story. Many of Judy Garland's fans on Instagram are annoyed about it. 

And I might sound silly by saying this, but I'd love to play Dorothy since I'm around the same age (16) that Judy was when she played her 😂😂 Also, I've been a huge fan of Judy and the original film since I was about 8 years old 😂😂

What are your thoughts on the upcoming remake? 

Also, 2 fun facts:  

1. Did you know that in Lady Gaga's 73 Questions Interview with Vogue in 2018, when the interviewer asked her what her favourite film was growing up, she answered "The Wizard of Oz"? 

2. Did you know that Judy Garland starred in the 2nd film version of "A Star is Born" in 1954?

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

• Love 1

42 minutes ago, little_monster_amy said:

Hi Monsters! It's just been announced that there will be another remake of the 1939 film "The Wizard of Oz", which starred Judy Garland,  Ray Bolger,  Jack Haley & Bert Lahr . It will be released by New Line Cinema and directed by Nicole Kassel.  No cast and/or release date have been announced yet. 

Honestly, I'm not too sure what I should think of this at the moment. In a way, I think they should leave it alone now, since many people consider it to be a classic. And I think they should think of a new film.  But in a way, it might be interesting to see another take on the story. Many of Judy Garland's fans on Instagram are annoyed about it. 

And I might sound silly by saying this, but I'd love to play Dorothy since I'm around the same age (16) that Judy was when she played her 😂😂 Also, I've been a huge fan of Judy and the original film since I was about 8 years old 😂😂

Also, 2 fun facts:  

1. Did you know that in Lady Gaga's 73 Questions Interview with Vogue in 2018, when the interviewer asked her what her favourite film was growing up, she answered "The Wizard of Oz"? 

2. Did you know that Judy Garland starred in the 2nd film version of "A Star is Born" in 1954?

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

I have always been meaning to watch this film but never have. I made a mental note to watch it back when the Vogue interview came out but here we are 😂

So I can't really say my opinion on whether they should remake it or not! 

• Love 1

• ★ Moderator
15 minutes ago, dafniye said:

I have always been meaning to watch this film but never have. I made a mental note to watch it back when the Vogue interview came out but here we are 😂

So I can't really say my opinion on whether they should remake it or not! 

I'd definitely recommend watching it! It's one of my favourites! 🥰

On 2/10/2021 at 6:37 PM, little_monster_amy said:

Also, 2 fun facts:  

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Do we need it? I don't think so... :glasses2:

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’d prefer if they could just do a different story altogether like an origin story for the lion, tin man or scarecrow... or even one of the witches. But i don’t think they need to remake the original story ... But it could be good if they do it right

• ★ Moderator
1 hour ago, Judas said:

I’d prefer if they could just do a different story altogether like an origin story for the lion, tin man or scarecrow... or even one of the witches. But i don’t think they need to remake the original story ... But it could be good if they do it right

I mean, it could be good, but a lot of the Wizard of Oz remakes aren't very good in my opinion. Also, in regards to origin stories for the characters, I've heard a rumour of a film version of the stage musical Wicked, which as far as I'm aware, is sort of like an origin story for Glinda the Good Witch of the North and Elphaba the Wicked Witch of the West, although I'm not exactly sure of the plot for Wicked as I've never seen it myself