Being kind to our Earth

gia

Hello little monsters!

As we are such a multicultural and open-minded community I wanted to hear your opinions and ideas about a problem that is everybody's responsibility. We all know that climate change is a real issue and if we don't act now, it will soon become something irreversible. 

Personally, I was really impressed to see how quickly the Earth started healing as soon as the world was put in lockdown. Dolphins were swimming in Venice, birds started nesting on the side of the roads, the skies of the most polluted cities became visible again! And only in a couple of months!

I know sometimes it's hard to think that our actions can somehow help the planet but they really can.

During my travels I've seen how different countries deal with this problem in different ways, caring about different things. It was very interesting for me to see how the richest countries that paradoxically recycle more, are also the ones that wrap up more things in plastic! I was shocked to see single zucchini or single capsicums wrapped in plastic in Norway... Recycling IS something important but it's not the right way to slow down the production of plastic when you put it everywhere. Many European countries send their rubbish to poorer countries such as Indonesia or Thailand to get rid of it in a cheaper way and often those countries don't have the means to dispose it earth-wisely and tons of trash end up in the ocean or in the nature.

I know that some countries ask people to use surgical masks (especially in public transport) but often people throw them on the ground! Not to mention the way they are produced and imported... Are you free to choose in your country?

How do you guys try to contribute to living in a healthier planet?

I've cut down my use of plastic. I prefer soap bars to liquid soap, use a bamboo toothbrush and try to select what I buy according to the materials of the packaging. I often buy second-handed clothes - and in some countries it really is a big thing and you can find very nice stuff! Have you already given it a try?

Also, I don't buy or consume meat. I'm lucky because I've never liked it so it's not a big deal for me, I know some people decide to go vegan or vegetarian but they struggle a lot with it. I think you need to find a good balance. Only by cutting down your meat to only 5 days a week instead of eating it every day, you already contribute to the reduction of its production!

I do drink milk... and I know that the milk industry is one of the worst ones. Cows often are treated really bad, they feed them hormons and make them bleed. It's very sad. I tried to buy some organic milk but in some countries it becomes a very expensive choice (I remember seeing 1L of fresh organic milk for NZ$9!).

I think we can contribute with small actions. For example, sometimes I go to the beach to pick up rubbish and I never throw cigarette butts on the ground (and I make sure people that are with me don't do it either).

How does your country deal with the issue? Are you happy with it? Do you wear a reusable mask? Do you have any tips to improve our behaviour?

Our Earth is such a beautiful place and we should look after it 🤍

• Love 3

Hi! Love your text and what you do!

I wear reusable mask,  i stop using straw, i stop buying new liquid soap, i save electricity and water, i reuse water from rain,  i don't drink milk, i buy meat but less and of good quality, i don't go to fast food, i reuse plastic bags from store, i don't too much buy on internet...

I live in France , there is not too much things but they are trying to ban plastic, but with the global pandemic it was slow down.

I think we should buy local, for fashion, for example, we should stop buying from china for the environnement and the people. 

I know, it complicated but must all do our bit , every little action is important!

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • ★ Senior Moderator
On 1/27/2021 at 7:43 AM, gia said:

How do you guys try to contribute to living in a healthier planet?

By being an example to others, and really show them how to take care of our planet. We are the only responsible people to protect it. 

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

Speaking of France, they finally are being held accountable for their lack of actions regarding the environnement! If you want to read about it, it's here!

While I absolutely agree with you all, and you all gave very good ideas, the ones who could definitively stop all of that are the governments and major companies. We can, and should do our parts, but I'm affraid that it won't be enough to save the planet in the long run. So if you can, sign petitions, go protest, do what you can to make sure that we, the younger generations are fed up with the old ones killing the Earth without any consequences for them!

9 minutes ago, Leography said:

Speaking of France, they finally are being held accountable for their lack of actions regarding the environnement! If you want to read about it, it's here!

While I absolutely agree with you all, and you all gave very good ideas, the ones who could definitively stop all of that are the governments and major companies. We can, and should do our parts, but I'm affraid that it won't be enough to save the planet in the long run. So if you can, sign petitions, go protest, do what you can to make sure that we, the younger generations are fed up with the old ones killing the Earth without any consequences for them!

Totally agree with you.

It's a shame to think about the amount of waste, pollution and careless production caused by the big industries.

We produce way more than we eat! And there are so many millions of people dying from hunger. Isn't it crazy??

You know that every day there are more people that dye from hunger than from the coronavirus? Why don't we hear about them? Because their economies aren't strong and they don't influence the capitalism. It's such a shame.

I don't know how familiar you guys are with the concept of dumpster diving. I do it especially when I travel. It's SHOCKING to see what supermarkets throw in the bin. Food that is still good but not "pretty enough" to be picked by a customer! I was in Norway and I found 2 huge bags of potatoes perfecty sealed and not out of date, in the bin! And you know why? Because that day they had a truck delivering and probably those 2 bags of potatoes didn't fit in the storage room. I get so angry at supermarkets!!!

I had a wonderful experience living with a girl who decided to host me for a while. She refuses going to buy food and lives on dumpster diving. We had 3 freezers full of food and so much fruit and veggies!

Maybe some of you will find it gross but trust me, if you take a full shower after it and you rinse everything very well, there won't be any problem! (+ we wrap everything in plastic so very often the food which is still good doesn't even touch the rotten one!)

By the way, next time that you are picking your apples at the supermarket, don't put down the ones that are a little bit bruised. They are still yummy and our stomach doesn't have eyes! You will save them from going wasted in the rubbish 😄

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, gia said:

Totally agree with you.

It's a shame to think about the amount of waste, pollution and careless production caused by the big industries.

We produce way more than we eat! And there are so many millions of people dying from hunger. Isn't it crazy??

You know that every day there are more people that dye from hunger than from the coronavirus? Why don't we hear about them? Because their economies aren't strong and they don't influence the capitalism. It's such a shame.

I don't know how familiar you guys are with the concept of dumpster diving. I do it especially when I travel. It's SHOCKING to see what supermarkets throw in the bin. Food that is still good but not "pretty enough" to be picked by a customer! I was in Norway and I found 2 huge bags of potatoes perfecty sealed and not out of date, in the bin! And you know why? Because that day they had a truck delivering and probably those 2 bags of potatoes didn't fit in the storage room. I get so angry at supermarkets!!!

I had a wonderful experience living with a girl who decided to host me for a while. She refuses going to buy food and lives on dumpster diving. We had 3 freezers full of food and so much fruit and veggies!

Maybe some of you will find it gross but trust me, if you take a full shower after it and you rinse everything very well, there won't be any problem! (+ we wrap everything in plastic so very often the food which is still good doesn't even touch the rotten one!)

By the way, next time that you are picking your apples at the supermarket, don't put down the ones that are a little bit bruised. They are still yummy and our stomach doesn't have eyes! You will save them from going wasted in the rubbish 😄

Oh I absolutely agree, I don't know how it's still legal in so many countries. 

Honnestly, I can't imagine a bright future for us all as long as we stay in that capitalism system... 

But I loved all your tricks, I definitively should try that!!

1 minute ago, Leography said:

Oh I absolutely agree, I don't know how it's still legal in so many countries. 

Honnestly, I can't imagine a bright future for us all as long as we stay in that capitalism system... 

But I loved all your tricks, I definitively should try that!!

I know in France you can find pretty good stuff! 😂 A French friend of mine started doing it (he's from a rich family, very high-class...) and he found so much food!! His family ended up having guacamole from the bin for Christmas hahaha He was like "I would have never imagined that something like this could happen" 😂

The richest countries are the ones that throw the most.