How are your relationships with your parents?

Tan Nazlı

• ★ Moderator

I really dont like opening up (not in a bad way) but its just that i feel shy about it and like everyone can read it but i want to try. So i have a bitter sweet relationship with my parents. At times its really good and other times its...really bad. Idk if its me or them. I know they love ofc but at times its annoying. So what ive been doing is i stay up at night so i can be alone and ill sleep and wake up late so i dont see them much. ( idk if this is making sense im sorry 😭). But yeah thats what i do. Its my dad mostly. Not sure where to go on next, its been ok so far. He just likes to keep nagging (in his words). Im clueless really. I just want it to stop 😕. Not sure if im making sense but yeah.

On 2/7/2021 at 11:11 AM, Ray said:

I really dont like opening up (not in a bad way) but its just that i feel shy about it and like everyone can read it but i want to try. So i have a bitter sweet relationship with my parents. At times its really good and other times its...really bad. Idk if its me or them. I know they love ofc but at times its annoying. So what ive been doing is i stay up at night so i can be alone and ill sleep and wake up late so i dont see them much. ( idk if this is making sense im sorry 😭). But yeah thats what i do. Its my dad mostly. Not sure where to go on next, its been ok so far. He just likes to keep nagging (in his words). Im clueless really. I just want it to stop 😕. Not sure if im making sense but yeah.

I understand completely what you're going through ❤️

During my worst days, I used to do the same; stay awake as long as I possibly could and sleep in to avoid them, because everyday it would be the constant bickering and stuff. 

I'm sorry you don't feel comfortable like that with them. You are completely making sense, and just know that there is always atleast one person that understands what you're going through. 

My dms are always open if you wanna talk ❤️

On 2/7/2021 at 9:11 AM, Ray said:

You're absolutely making sense, and it used to be like that with my parents, especially my mother. The only useful advice I could give you is trying to talk to them about it, on a day where you feel like both you and your parents are on a better mood. Not saying that it'll solve everything, but maybe you'll all get a better sense of what's going on!

• Love 1

• ★ Moderator
11 hours ago, dafniye said:

I understand completely what you're going through ❤️

During my worst days, I used to do the same; stay awake as long as I possibly could and sleep in to avoid them, because everyday it would be the constant bickering and stuff. 

I'm sorry you don't feel comfortable like that with them. You are completely making sense, and just know that there is always atleast one person that understands what you're going through. 

My dms are always open if you wanna talk ❤️

Ill remember that (at least one person understands... part)  and thank you 🥺. Idk why but i just cant open up, like i try to cause i know its good to like let it all out but my mind doesnt want to.

9 hours ago, Leography said:

You're absolutely making sense, and it used to be like that with my parents, especially my mother. The only useful advice I could give you is trying to talk to them about it, on a day where you feel like both you and your parents are on a better mood. Not saying that it'll solve everything, but maybe you'll all get a better sense of what's going on!

Ive tried but like my dad only see's stuff from his perspective and its hard to like talk cause at the end of the conversation we get back to the same point and ill just get tired of it and be like ok sure and thats it. 🤕

11 minutes ago, Ray said:

Ill remember that (at least one person understands... part)  and thank you 🥺. Idk why but i just cant open up, like i try to cause i know its good to like let it all out but my mind doesnt want to.

Ive tried but like my dad only see's stuff from his perspective and its hard to like talk cause at the end of the conversation we get back to the same point and ill just get tired of it and be like ok sure and thats it. 🤕

It's okay! Take your time. Don't force yourself to do something you're not comfortable doing yet.

You'll learn to be more communicative with time ❤️

We're always here for you 💕

On 2/7/2021 at 9:11 AM, Ray said:

I do understand you. My relationship with my parents has always been bittersweet too. Every time I spend more than a weekend at their place it ends up in an ongoing fight. Don't feel shy to talk about it, it's liberating.

My parents struggled A LOT to accept the fact that I'm not exactly as they wanted me to be and I have a very different lifestyle from them. At the beginning I used to try to explain to them what I wanted to do and why. It never worked. It's really hard to change people's mind (and we shouldn't, but work on acceptance). So I stopped explaining and started telling them what I was doing and what my life looked like once things were done or were happening. The communication between us really improved. They ended up accepting many things. It's not easy, I totally get you. If I can give you a suggestion, don't try to explain to them why you want something for yourself or why you behave in a specific way. Just do it and show them you are happy in that way. 😄 They love you, I'm sure they only want the best for you. Sometimes what they think is the best is not what you think is 

Edited by gia

• ★ Moderator

On 2/9/2021 at 4:23 PM, gia said:

I do understand you. My relationship with my parents has always been bittersweet too. Every time I spend more than a weekend at their place it ends up in an ongoing fight. Don't feel shy to talk about it, it's liberating.

My parents struggled A LOT to accept the fact that I'm not exactly as they wanted me to be and I have a very different lifestyle from them. At the beginning I used to try to explain to them what I wanted to do and why. It never worked. It's really hard to change people's mind (and we shouldn't, but work on acceptance). So I stopped explaining and started telling them what I was doing and what my life looked like once things were done or were happening. The communication between us really improved. They ended up accepting many things. It's not easy, I totally get you. If I can give you a suggestion, don't try to explain to them why you want something for yourself or why you behave in a specific way. Just do it and show them you are happy in that way. 😄 They love you, I'm sure they only want the best for you. Sometimes what they think is the best is not what you think is 

This is so true and is basically whats going on with me. They dont understand why i dont like doing what other boys ( you get me) do. My family members are all athletes but me so its weird for me and im the odd one out. some thing they understand but others (the important ones) they dont. Even picking what i want to study in, i had to constantly tell them that its what i wanted, i get their perspective but like let me try doing it my way, yeah ive failed a couple times before but doesnt mean i cant change. Right now im just letting it all slide till lockdown is over and i can move out and like start doing things that i feel happy doing and just be myself.

Im def trying it does feel good pouring it all out. Thank You :)

:sad3:

• Love 2

• ★ Senior Moderator

Right now, it’s okay kind of. But my mom seems she doesn’t like the fact that I’m gay. 

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

Coming off from an Asian Christian family, our culture has strong family ties but my parents are too strict like helicopter parents. I am 21 years old now.

It is honestly weird because they are trying to use their financial support to control me, rather than just "love" or whatever relations families should have. They have previously tried to forced me into a college program I don't like and also degrade me for my sexuality.

Can't wait to move out someday :(

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, artpopulace said:

Coming off from an Asian Christian family, our culture has strong family ties but my parents are too strict like helicopter parents. I am 21 years old now.

It is honestly weird because they are trying to use their financial support to control me, rather than just "love" or whatever relations families should have. They have previously tried to forced me into a college program I don't like and also degrade me for my sexuality.

Hang in there, I hope your parents will eventually change their attitude. After so many years of parenting this way, they should come to the conclusion that something is wrong here.

• Love 1

• ★ Senior Moderator
7 hours ago, artpopulace said:

This is exactly my story 😭💔 

7 hours ago, artpopulace said:

I'm sorry to read this... I hope your relationship will manage to improve somehow. I do believe they love you. It's really hard to change people's minds or to open their minds. Try not to make it hurt you and maybe don't try to explain to them that you want something different from what they want for you, just show them you are happy that way :oscar2:

• ★ Senior Moderator
15 hours ago, gia said:

I do believe they love you.

Yes. Our parents love us. They might find this hard to understand, but they still love you. And I really hope this situation gets better because you deserve love. ❤️

• ★ Senior Moderator
51 minutes ago, devillenter said:

I hope everything works out for you! Stay strong and take care of yourself!

Thank you dear! Take care of yourself too!

• ★ Senior Moderator
13 hours ago, devillenter said:

Thank you so much! <3

Anytime 🙌🏻 And don’t worry my dear, everything will be fine. 

• ★ Administrator
On 2/14/2021 at 2:24 PM, artpopulace said:

I am really sorry this is happening to you. Unfortunately sometimes it is better for us to just find our own path. After all, we are not mant to live with our family forever and live in their shadows. If they don't accept us, is their loss. I hope some day they'll understand tho, but please, just do what's best for yourself and not for them.

• ★ Senior Moderator
23 hours ago, Matt said:

I am really sorry this is happening to you. Unfortunately sometimes it is better for us to just find our own path. After all, we are not mant to live with our family forever and live in their shadows. If they don't accept us, is their loss. I hope some day they'll understand tho, but please, just do what's best for yourself and not for them.

I know you were replying to @artpopulace, but this is exactly what I needed to read as an advice. I’m having a hard time with my family, specially with my mom, we don’t fight, but she doesn’t support me as who I am. Thank you for your words. And thank you again for creating this platform for us to share about our lives.