I used to have toxic friends way back in high school who had some superiority complex due to our school's exclusivity. Whenever I called them out, they gaslight me like I'm some kind of "angel" as they say. I slowly gravitated away from them and I honestly thankful for that. Unfortunately, I also got into a toxic relationship with an ex and still in a toxic relationship with my family. Nevertheless, I try to burn bridges "peacefully," by slowly gravitating away.

Happy to see some of them still grow over the years, even though they have been toxic to me. Still wouldn't want to become friends again but we have been talking casually.

• Love 3
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to have toxic friends way back in high school who had some superiority complex due to our school's exclusivity. Whenever I called them out, they gaslight me like I'm some kind of "angel" as they say. I slowly gravitated away from them and I honestly thankful for that. Unfortunately, I also got into a toxic relationship with an ex and still in a toxic relationship with my family. Nevertheless, I try to burn bridges "peacefully," by slowly gravitating away. Happy to see some of them st

Hello everyone, I hope you are okay and healthy.    I want to bring up this topic for the Mental Health section because it is something that affects a lot of us, and we can feel really sad/depressed about it.  I've actually recently gotten out of a Toxic Friendship and it put me in a really bad place but I have now recovered and am doing ok, I also know a lot of people who have been/still are in Toxic Friendships and I can see how it effects other people.   So, I want to kn

Toxic people are the worst thing that can happen to you at school or at work. Because unfortunately we have to spend time with them there. I have many experiences with such people. Unfortunately... But you can cut yourself off from everything when the time is right.

Posted Images

• ★ Moderator

Staying away from toxic people is the best solution for everything, it may be difficult and hurt, but in the end it will be worth it.

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why.

I wouldn't say I had toxic friendships, but something happened with a friend of mine while I was in high school.

We were extremely close and I really thought our friendship would last forever.
I think it was the year after high school was done when I realized she was lying to me about so many things.
It was really weird because we had always talked to each other and I was always sincere with her, and especially because she was lying to me about things that were literally stupid!
One summer she told me she was going on vacation to Greece with some friends, and it's kinda sad to say this but I knew she barely had any friends at all, except for me and our other friends in common, so I was kinda suspicious at first.
Throughout the years of our friendship, I remember she used to post some pictures on Instagram of a girl that was really similar to her. You could barely see her face in those pictures, so just looking at the hair or from behind, the girl seemed identical to her, but I knew her well enough to know that wasn't her at all...
I never talked to her about it, and that was probably my fault, but I didn't have the courage to ask her, and since it wasn't something that she used to do all the time, I just forgot about it.

One time she skipped lots of days from school cause she said she was going to Brazil with her family, to attend a wedding (kinda weird), and then they would fly to London. I wasn't suspicious at the beginning but when she came back I remember she got souvenirs from London for me and our friends, and she showed me pictures of her and her family in London, but she didn't have any pics from her trip to Brazil. She only posted a couple of them on her instagram, and one of them represented a girl similar to her, and it seemed like a photoshoot. Somehow I randomly found the same picture on a blog on the internet, so it wasn't her at all!!

Coming back to her "trip to Greece with her friends", she again posted pictures of that trip, and one was a totally empty beach. Wow, an empty white beach in Greece in the middle of August? :mic: That was definitely a pic taken from Google images 🙄 
Also, another friend of mine was organizing her bday party that week, so she called her at her house asking her if she was going to attend..and guess what? She was home, the same week she was supposed to be in Greece...and she said she had to come back home a few days earlier :clownmakeup:

I began to wonder why she was doing that, and I was really sad about it.
Why would she post pictures of girls that are not her? Why did she tell me she was going on vacation when she actually wasn't? I mean, there's no reason to lie like that to your friend. Why would I care whether she goes on vacation in some cool places or not? She would still be my friend no matter what 😪
And I'm not going to tell you about that time she told me she had a (fake) boyfriend.....

I was so afraid to ask why she was doing that because I didn't want to ruin our friendship, but one day I had the courage to do it because I really had enough. I didn't want to forget about it anymore and have such a dishonest friendship! 
I wasn't mad at her, I just told her what I knew and asked her why she would do that, and she was so mad at me that she even blocked my phone number.
Well, I did ruin our relationship but I didn't want to live a lie, and she was the one that didn't want to explain to me what was going on. I think I did the right thing, but I was really sad and disappointed cause I thought our friendship was true.

I thought she might be a pathological liar or something like that, but I really don't know 😔 
She lied about insignificant stuff, and I was heartbroken she didn't even want to explain herself and save our relationship....
I'm over it now, but I still don't know why she did that, after many years, and that still makes me sad....

Have you ever had a similar experience? Or have you ever met any pathological liars? Do you think that might be the case?

2 hours ago, Giulia Monster said:

I wouldn't say I had toxic friendships, but something happened with a friend of mine while I was in high school.

I think it was the year after high school was done when I realized she was lying to me about so many things.
It was really weird because we had always talked to each other and I was always sincere with her, and especially because she was lying to me about things that were literally stupid!
One summer she told me she was going on vacation to Greece with some friends, and it's kinda sad to say this but I knew she barely had any friends at all, except for me and our other friends in common, so I was kinda suspicious at first.
Throughout the years of our friendship, I remember she used to post some pictures on Instagram of a girl that was really similar to her. You could barely see her face in those pictures, so just looking at the hair or from behind, the girl seemed identical to her, but I knew her well enough to know that wasn't her at all...
I never talked to her about it, and that was probably my fault, but I didn't have the courage to ask her, and since it wasn't something that she used to do all the time, I just forgot about it.

One time she skipped lots of days from school cause she said she was going to Brazil with her family, to attend a wedding (kinda weird), and then they would fly to London. I wasn't suspicious at the beginning but when she came back I remember she got souvenirs from London for me and our friends, and she showed me pictures of her and her family in London, but she didn't have any pics from her trip to Brazil. She only posted a couple of them on her instagram, and one of them represented a girl similar to her, and it seemed like a photoshoot. Somehow I randomly found the same picture on a blog on the internet, so it wasn't her at all!!

Coming back to her "trip to Greece with her friends", she again posted pictures of that trip, and one was a totally empty beach. Wow, an empty white beach in Greece in the middle of August? :mic: That was definitely a pic taken from Google images 🙄 
Also, another friend of mine was organizing her bday party that week, so she called her at her house asking her if she was going to attend..and guess what? She was home, the same week she was supposed to be in Greece...and she said she had to come back home a few days earlier :clownmakeup:

Why would she post pictures of girls that are not her? Why did she tell me she was going on vacation when she actually wasn't? I mean, there's no reason to lie like that to your friend. Why would I care whether she goes on vacation in some cool places or not? She would still be my friend no matter what 😪
And I'm not going to tell you about that time she told me she had a (fake) boyfriend.....

I was so afraid to ask why she was doing that because I didn't want to ruin our friendship, but one day I had the courage to do it because I really had enough. I didn't want to forget about it anymore and have such a dishonest friendship! 
I wasn't mad at her, I just told her what I knew and asked her why she would do that, and she was so mad at me that she even blocked my phone number.
Well, I did ruin our relationship but I didn't want to live a lie, and she was the one that didn't want to explain to me what was going on. I think I did the right thing, but I was really sad and disappointed cause I thought our friendship was true.

I thought she might be a pathological liar or something like that, but I really don't know 😔 
She lied about insignificant stuff, and I was heartbroken she didn't even want to explain herself and save our relationship....
I'm over it now, but I still don't know why she did that, after many years, and that still makes me sad....

Have you ever had a similar experience? Or have you ever met any pathological liars? Do you think that might be the case?

She was probably hiding for some reason .. the pathological liar like you said create a life they fancy more because their own life sucks . It's kinda sad actually and if it's really deep they cant handle to be caught because they really believe at their lies at some point 

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, Adeline said:

She was probably hiding for some reason .. the pathological liar like you said create a life they fancy more because their own life sucks . It's kinda sad actually and if it's really deep they cant handle to be caught because they really believe at their lies at some point 

Yeah, that's sad. I would've been there for her, but she refused to talk to me and since school was over at the time, I wasn't able to see her anymore cause I couldn't reach her...I tried many times but she just ignored me...

I still follow her on instagram but I muted her years ago, cause seeing her would just make me sad and anxious.
I noticed she follows me still, but she probably muted me too, cause she never see my stories.
The ONLY post of mine that she liked in 5 years was the one with the picture of me and Gaga. I was very surprised, but she knew how much I loved Gaga so I guess she was happy for me.....but I guess I'll never know....

2 hours ago, Giulia Monster said:

Yeah, that's sad. I would've been there for her, but she refused to talk to me and since school was over at the time, I wasn't able to see her anymore cause I couldn't reach her...I tried many times but she just ignored me...

I still follow her on instagram but I muted her years ago, cause seeing her would just make me sad and anxious.
I noticed she follows me still, but she probably muted me too, cause she never see my stories.
The ONLY post of mine that she liked in 5 years was the one with the picture of me and Gaga. I was very surprised, but she knew how much I loved Gaga so I guess she was happy for me.....but I guess I'll never know....

Dont feel guilty about it , you were her friend even knowing that.  You did what you could,  you cant help someone who is not ready to be helped.  You did your best, I'm sure you're a great friend. 

Edited by Adeline
  • Love 1
  • ★ Moderator
20 hours ago, Giulia Monster said:

Wow 😦 I’m speechless. I don’t know why this keeps happening with people. But you did the right thing, because she was your friend and you didn’t want to live a lie, even though it was very evident with her behavior and social media, 

3 hours ago, Adeline said:

Dont feel guilty about it , you were her friend even knowing that.  You did what you could,  you cant help someone who is not ready to be helped.  You did your best, I'm sure you're a great friend. 

And Adeline is right, don’t fell guilty about it. You tired to help her the way you could. It’s not bad to help a friend. And at the end of the day, it’s great that you kept your distance and muted her, it might be sad at first but we have to move on from that kind of people. I hope you can heal from this. And you’re a great person, a great friend ❤️

Thank you for sharing this story with us. 

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why.

4 hours ago, tony said:

Wow 😦 I’m speechless. I don’t know why this keeps happening with people. But you did the right thing, because she was your friend and you didn’t want to live a lie, even though it was very evident with her behavior and social media, 

And Adeline is right, don’t fell guilty about it. You tired to help her the way you could. It’s not bad to help a friend. And at the end of the day, it’s great that you kept your distance and muted her, it might be sad at first but we have to move on from that kind of people. I hope you can heal from this. And you’re a great person, a great friend ❤️

Thank you for sharing this story with us. 

Thank you so much! I'm completely fine now, it happened 5 years ago, so I'm good 😊
I have only muted her after she blocked my number, just because seeing her would just remind me of what had happened.
It's just that sometimes I wonder why she acted like that.

Yes there are some around me but I don't consider them real friends so I'm not affected by them very much. I have 2 friends which I really trust and I only share stories with them. I think that having one real friend is much better than having many bad ones.

I've had so many toxic friends in the past who've only made me feel bad abt myself, but I'm so grateful to finally have found real friends who I know care about me 🤍

19 hours ago, _ratttos_ said:

The way we all kinda go through this same thing.💔

But the fact that my teachers also bullied me.

I still think that I'm not good at anything 😔

Your teachers bullied you?! That's not okay at all. Have you told anyone?

and don't say you're not good at anything, you are a Talented and amazing person and I'm sure you've made so many peoples lives happier!

On 2/22/2021 at 9:20 AM, _ratttos_ said:

The way we all kinda go through this same thing.💔

But the fact that my teachers also bullied me.

I still think that I'm not good at anything 😔

everybody is unique and talent in their own way so please don't feel bad.

And I think it's a serious problem if your teachers bullied you, can you talk to your parents or other teachers? If they're being too harsh I think it's important to tell authorities.

On 2/22/2021 at 2:31 AM, chimera2.0 said:

Yes there are some around me but I don't consider them real friends so I'm not affected by them very much. I have 2 friends which I really trust and I only share stories with them. I think that having one real friend is much better than having many bad ones.

i agree. i only have a few friends but they are so close to me and i know i can trust them. 

9 minutes ago, Judas said:

i agree. i only have a few friends but they are so close to me and i know i can trust them. 

yes but next year we're all going to university so we can't meet often anymore. I really not good at making new friends so I will miss them so much. :(

1 minute ago, chimera2.0 said:

yes but next year we're all going to university so we can't meet often anymore. I really not good at making new friends so I will miss them so much. :(

i’m sorry to hear that :( but i’m sure you will make friends in university! and hopefully you will stay in touch with your friends 

• Thanks 1

There havw been so many toxic friendships. 

One that was really the worst was with this online friend. They would threaten to suicide all the time if I didn't talk to them. I'm not texting them? Oh, must be because I hate them. I couldn't go two minutes without them being dependent on me. It got so bad that I would avoid going online on purpose. Once they saw that I had posted a story, they messaged me saying how I didn't care about them and all I cared about was gaga and this and that (the story was about gaga). When in reality, I had just posted that story and messaged them simultaneously, but they. didn't see the message and blasted off. Suffice to say, they're out of my life now for good. 

2 minutes ago, Judas said:

i’m sorry to hear that :( but i’m sure you will make friends in university! and hopefully you will stay in touch with your friends 

Thank you. When I was small my family had to moved house many times and I had attended quite many different schools but I still find it so hard to make new friends. Next year I won't be able attend the same university with my best friends but luckily we'll all study in the same city.

4 minutes ago, chimera2.0 said:

Thank you. When I was small my family had to moved house many times and I had attended quite many different schools but I still find it so hard to make new friends. Next year I won't be able attend the same university with my best friends but luckily we'll all study in the same city.

Hopefully you make some great friends and the pandemic gets over so you'll be able to visit your best friend ❤️

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, dafniye said:

There havw been so many toxic friendships. 

One that was really the worst was with this online friend. They would threaten to suicide all the time if I didn't talk to them. I'm not texting them? Oh, must be because I hate them. I couldn't go two minutes without them being dependent on me. It got so bad that I would avoid going online on purpose. Once they saw that I had posted a story, they messaged me saying how I didn't care about them and all I cared about was gaga and this and that (the story was about gaga). When in reality, I had just posted that story and messaged them simultaneously, but they. didn't see the message and blasted off. Suffice to say, they're out of my life now for good. 

It's terrible, thank God you have overcome that toxic one.

15 minutes ago, chimera2.0 said:

That’s great that you’ll be in the same city!! At least that way you can meet up after school or inbetween class