Lady Gaga Receives the Higher Ground Award

emiliman

The Beloved Community Awards honoured Lady Gaga on January 16th with the Yolanda King "High Ground" Award.

The artist and founder of the Born This Way Foundation received the Yolanda Denise King "Higher Ground" Award for her activism during the summer of 2020 when tensions in the United States arose after the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The #BlackLivesMatter movement is said to be the largest movement in history, and Lady Gaga addressed the movement and her support many times.

Prior to the event, Lady Gaga released a statement about the honour: 

Gaga spoke about Unlearning and how important it is for white people to commit to it. "Black lives matter. Black life matters. Blackness matters. Black joy matters. White people, I believe that black life represents the best of our nation. And as white people I believe that we have a responsibility to unlearn, to accept the honest truth about the history of our country, admit that white supremacy makes us unhealthy, and change our own behaviours to contribute to a world where freedom is real for everyone."

The singer also denounced white supremacy: "Systems of white supremacy were designed by humans. They are literally socially constructed, which means they can be dismantled by humans. I believe that one way freedom can be possible is when white people accept that systems of oppression serve us while literally taking the lives of people of colour."

Gaga ended her speech with the following: "In the Beloved Community of our future, we, black, brown, indigenous, and white people, embrace our collective humanity. Let us use love, criticality, and empathy to pour water on the flames of hatred and division. Let us use honesty, radical acceptance, and measurable action, so that freedom is truly possible. With an open, humble, and fearfully optimistic heart, I invite all of us, and especially white people, to join me on the path to a beloved community. I believe that justice can finally begin to be realized, at least in part, when and if folks who look like me commit to a lifetime of unlearning. I love you. Thank you so much."

You can learn more about the The King Center and how to donate at thekingcenter.org.

page.jpg

View full article

• Love 1

8 hours ago, emiliman said:

The Beloved Community Awards will be honoring Lady Gaga today at 7 p.m. EST. This event will take place at The King Center in Atlanta, Georgia with online access to the public. You can follow the even with the livestream below.

The artist and founder of the Born This Way Foundation is receiving the Yolanda Denise King "Higher Ground" Award for her activism during the summer of 2020 when tensions in the United States arose after the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The #BlackLivesMatter movement is said to be the largest movement in history, and Lady Gaga addressed the movement and her support many times. A tweet from June 4, 2020 states: 

page.jpg

For the full schedule of events and details during the King Holiday Observance, sponsorships, and ways to donate, visit thekingcenter.org. 

Event Timetable

2021-timetable-higher.png

View full article

is she actually attending?

• Love 1

• ★ Senior Moderator
10 hours ago, emiliman said:

The Beloved Community Awards will be honoring Lady Gaga today at 7 p.m. EST. This event will take place at The King Center in Atlanta, Georgia with online access to the public. You can follow the even with the livestream below.

The artist and founder of the Born This Way Foundation is receiving the Yolanda Denise King "Higher Ground" Award for her activism during the summer of 2020 when tensions in the United States arose after the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. The #BlackLivesMatter movement is said to be the largest movement in history, and Lady Gaga addressed the movement and her support many times. A tweet from June 4, 2020 states: 

page.jpg

For the full schedule of events and details during the King Holiday Observance, sponsorships, and ways to donate, visit thekingcenter.org. 

Event Timetable

2021-timetable-higher.png

View full article

I’m so excited! 🤩

• Love 2

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

I’m so excited she is receiving this award. This is the reason why I was not upset with her failing to promote Chromatica. She did the right thing by standing up for whats right and being involved in what matters!

• Love 4

1 minute ago, Twitter said:

I’m so excited she is receiving this award. This is the reason why I was not upset with her failing to promote Chromatica. She did the right thing by standing up for whats right and being involved in what matters!

I'm pretty sure this award means more then a lot of the other ones she got this year. And she so deserves some recognition for the good she does for the world  !

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TEA 1

Just now, Adeline said:

I'm pretty sure this award means more then a lot of the other ones she got this year. And she so deserves some recognition for the good she does for the world  !

Of course and I’m also glad she was involved and did it out the kindness of her heart. Because most celebs would have done it for show. 

• TEA 1

1 minute ago, Twitter said:

Of course and I’m also glad she was involved and did it out the kindness of her heart. Because most celebs would have done it for show. 

I'm sure she would've done the some things even if she wasn't famous. She's such a loving person 

5 minutes ago, Adeline said:

I'm sure she would've done the some things even if she wasn't famous. She's such a loving person 

Yes! All I’m saying is I love she was genuine about it not just doing it for show or future achievements. 

• Love 1

48 minutes ago, PaulaMonster13 said:

Any idea of how long will the show be? It'll start at 1AM where I'm at and I really want to see it, specially if Gaga is giving an aceptance speech which I believe she will since it's such a special award

I think it's 2hours long,  but I dont know when she will do her speech 

• Thanks 1

• ★ Senior Moderator
7 hours ago, Sechito said:

is she actually attending?

A video is expected from her. Can’t wait 😍 :bye:

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

I can't wait! While I crave Chromatica content, she REALLY deserves that and I'm really happy for her! Can't wait to hear her (7 minutes!!) speech, I'm sure it's amazing!

Edited by Leography

41 minutes ago, Saeid78 said:

It is 3:30 in the morning and I fall asleep

1 hour ago, Leography said:

I can't wait! While I crave Chromatica content, she REALLY deserves that and I'm really happy for her! Can't wait to hear her (7 minutes!!) speech, I'm sure it's amazing!

Powerful words

The comment section is disgusting. I swear our fanbase has some of the most rude, embarassing, stupid people. If it was a music ceremony sure (but even tho it wouldn't be funny), but here? Hell no. Read the room ffs.

• TEA 2