Do record labels take advantage of fandoms?

I've been thinking recently about how record labels take advantage of fans. When I booked to see Lady Gaga for her Chromatica ball, I saw that it cost nearly $3000 or more for a meet and greet. What's more, I think merchandise is so much and obviously; fans will buy it as we love her. I'm just starting to feel if Lady Gaga is really genuine about her fans if her record label can charge so much? Like sometimes, I get the feeling we are being taken advantage of. They charge so much for exclusive content, merch and more. And all of this is under her brand and name... Im just curious what you guy think? 

• WIG 2

• ★ Senior Moderator

I think record labels take more advantage of fans with music releases and merch, I agree with you. But I believe they make more money with the tours.

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

• ★ Senior Moderator

They sure do! But I think it's way more prominent with other artists.

About M&G's, I think it's more of avaliability of the artist. It's expensive not only because you're meeting a world superstar but because the time is finite, she simply can't spend hours and hours before or after a show meeting fans, and that's why M&Gs are expensive, if everyone could afford them, she'd be meeting fans for a week non-stop.

I think the BTWBT experience was faireir than paying thousands of dollars tho.

• TEA 1

another shot before we kiss the otherside!

• ★ Moderator
On 6/21/2021 at 12:34 AM, LittleGagaMonst said:

I've been thinking recently about how record labels take advantage of fans. When I booked to see Lady Gaga for her Chromatica ball, I saw that it cost nearly $3000 or more for a meet and greet. What's more, I think merchandise is so much and obviously; fans will buy it as we love her. I'm just starting to feel if Lady Gaga is really genuine about her fans if her record label can charge so much? Like sometimes, I get the feeling we are being taken advantage of. They charge so much for exclusive content, merch and more. And all of this is under her brand and name... Im just curious what you guy think? 

I agree that record labels take advantags of us. I mean look at the prices for merch, not only ga but look at billie's for example. About the M&G LittleMouse explained it best.

21 hours ago, LittleMouse said:

They sure do! But I think it's way more prominent with other artists.

About M&G's, I think it's more of avaliability of the artist. It's expensive not only because you're meeting a world superstar but because the time is finite, she simply can't spend hours and hours before or after a show meeting fans, and that's why M&Gs are expensive, if everyone could afford them, she'd be meeting fans for a week non-stop.

I think the BTWBT experience was faireir than paying thousands of dollars tho.

Exactly!!! I totally agree

I agree to a certain extent, yet people must know being an artist you have to be able to make enough money to support tours, staff, dancers, the band etc. Of course artists care about fans and would probably die for them,  but at the end of the day bills need to be paid. 

Merchandise is expensive yes but I always thought it's because you're making customized apparel but in limited amounts. 

Yes lol. One example of record labels taking advantage of fans is Lorde's physical releases for her newest album. I'm not fully buying Lorde's statement regarding not releasing CD's for 'Solar Power' hence why I'm so apprehensive about buying a copy of the album just yet. 

She said that she wanted to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in landfill, however, her label have released more than five vinyl variations. Her label know that a standard £25 black vinyl brings them more money than say a £10 CD would. Knowing the fact vinyl copies earn them more money than a CD copy, her label scrapped the CD entirely and made a £16 boxset including a poster, a 32 page booklet, four art cards and a code that allows you access to a "high resolution" digital download of 'Solar Power' and exclusive content. I think if they wanted to be as environmentally friendly as possible, they wouldn't have created any physical copies at all and gone totally digital for the release of 'Solar Power'.

The fact that her label have released over five vinyl variations while wanting to be as environmentally friendly as possible is everything you need to know about record labels exploiting not only the artist(s) but the fans too. 

• TEA 1

They totally take advantage of fans.

But I think the problem is the structure of modern music-business, namely streaming services. They pay out very little (all in all 30% on spotify for example) and "destroy" other ways to sell music. Tbh, nowadays physical copies are mainly bought to collect them. So the label has to find other ways to earn money; sponsorships, advertisement-deals and selling stuff more expensive. I mean I don't like it at all, but I can understand.

And I think the artist has often little to no right of co-determination. But I'm sure some musicians out there are willing to milk their fanbase, either way. :sip:

• Love 1