Do any of you suffer from blushing?

Hey monsters, how are y’all?

I suffer from erythrophobia, which if you do not know it’s the fear of blushing/turning red in front of people. It causes social anxiety and it forces you to become very introverted and quiet.

I want to share an example:

So a couple of weeks ago my friend invited me over for dinner with her mom (mind you this was the first time i met her mother). When I got there she told me that there was going to be another couple joining us, so I was already dreading the idea of sitting at the table and have any attention on me.

Of course at some point someone asked me “christian, what do you do in life?” and I had to answer. It was so uncomfortable. Then to top it all, my friend clocked my redness and said something along the lines “why did you turn so red?” In front of everyone, and I just started freaking out internally.

Whenever I turn red I just feel naked, like my body is just showing everyone how I am feeling. So to counteract it I turn to quietness and I try to avoid any attention. I just become an introvert. The problem with that is that most people associate someone’s being quiet to someone that is being stuck up, or rude, or too good to be in that situation... you know? Like you just emanate this negative vibe that you don’t want to be there. And they probably think you don’t want to be there because you don’t like them, but in truth you just hate yourself (for blushing) and you don’t want people to see you blush.

Maybe it’s just me but I also have a very hard time keeping eye contact on people because I feel like I see their reactions to my redness through the way they look at me. And I always feel like I am transmitting my unease to everyone by blushing. Like I fear/feel that I make you uncomfortable just by blushing. Does that happen to any of you? Like someone is talking and they make eye contact with everyone as they’re talking and when it’s your turn to have eye contact with the person talking you just feel uncomfortable even though they’re the ones talking and everyone is looking at them, not you.

I hate it so much. I just feel like I can’t have any friends because I can’t simply sit down and relax and crack jokes anywhere. Even if in my head I have a ton of stuff to joke or just talk about, I just sit quiet and feel awkward for no reason other than the huge anxiety my blushing causes me.

Have people ever asked you like “hey did you sunbathe or something? You’re so red”?

I get that a lot when people want to know why I’m red. It’s those little comments that have built this huge anxiety and fear of blushing.

I wish I could be careless and outgoing like everyone else, even if I blush. I wish to not give any fucks about it, but I can’t 😞

• ★ Moderator
2 hours ago, Erosadams said:

I suffer from erythrophobia, which if you do not know it’s the fear of blushing/turning red in front of people. It causes social anxiety and it forces you to become very introverted and quiet.

So a couple of weeks ago my friend invited me over for dinner with her mom (mind you this was the first time i met her mother). When I got there she told me that there was going to be another couple joining us, so I was already dreading the idea of sitting at the table and have any attention on me.

Of course at some point someone asked me “christian, what do you do in life?” and I had to answer. It was so uncomfortable. Then to top it all, my friend clocked my redness and said something along the lines “why did you turn so red?” In front of everyone, and I just started freaking out internally.

Whenever I turn red I just feel naked, like my body is just showing everyone how I am feeling. So to counteract it I turn to quietness and I try to avoid any attention. I just become an introvert. The problem with that is that most people associate someone’s being quiet to someone that is being stuck up, or rude, or too good to be in that situation... you know? Like you just emanate this negative vibe that you don’t want to be there. And they probably think you don’t want to be there because you don’t like them, but in truth you just hate yourself (for blushing) and you don’t want people to see you blush.

Maybe it’s just me but I also have a very hard time keeping eye contact on people because I feel like I see their reactions to my redness through the way they look at me. And I always feel like I am transmitting my unease to everyone by blushing. Like I fear/feel that I make you uncomfortable just by blushing. Does that happen to any of you? Like someone is talking and they make eye contact with everyone as they’re talking and when it’s your turn to have eye contact with the person talking you just feel uncomfortable even though they’re the ones talking and everyone is looking at them, not you.

I hate it so much. I just feel like I can’t have any friends because I can’t simply sit down and relax and crack jokes anywhere. Even if in my head I have a ton of stuff to joke or just talk about, I just sit quiet and feel awkward for no reason other than the huge anxiety my blushing causes me.

Have people ever asked you like “hey did you sunbathe or something? You’re so red”?

I get that a lot when people want to know why I’m red. It’s those little comments that have built this huge anxiety and fear of blushing.

I wish I could be careless and outgoing like everyone else, even if I blush. I wish to not give any fucks about it, but I can’t 😞

Hey bestie, hope your well right now. Actually i have it too but i didnt know that it had an actual name and i thought it was just me being shy at first but it became worst. Sometimes i would just stay still like frozen and people would still ask questions but i would just want them to stop. I realized what i needed was to like clock out for abit to catch myself so what i started doing was playing random songs in my head, so for a moment itll just be me and whatever music im playing in head, the focus would be on the music and it helps to calm me back down and stop the redness. I suggest you try that but i dont think it should be music, it needs to be something that pulls your attention away and it needs to be strong.

Hope it helps and thank you for writing this, i didnt know that others felt the same 🙁. Let me know if it works.

55 minutes ago, Ray said:

Hey bestie, hope your well right now. Actually i have it too but i didnt know that it had an actual name and i thought it was just me being shy at first but it became worst. Sometimes i would just stay still like frozen and people would still ask questions but i would just want them to stop. I realized what i needed was to like clock out for abit to catch myself so what i started doing was playing random songs in my head, so for a moment itll just be me and whatever music im playing in head, the focus would be on the music and it helps to calm me back down and stop the redness. I suggest you try that but i dont think it should be music, it needs to be something that pulls your attention away and it needs to be strong.

Hope it helps and thank you for writing this, i didnt know that others felt the same 🙁. Let me know if it works.

Yes concentrating on something is supposed to help. My therapist suggested that I focus on my breathing. Tbh it doesn’t always work bug I am trying.  We’re not alone even though its hard to find others with this issue. There is a facebook group called iblush where we alla share our stories if you’re interested. 

5 hours ago, Erosadams said:

also have a very hard time keeping eye contact on people

This is what happens to me 😔 I really hate this from myself because people might think that I’m rude or I’m not interested in what they are saying. I’m very introverted so I understand you. 

16 hours ago, Tony said:

This is what happens to me 😔 I really hate this from myself because people might think that I’m rude or I’m not interested in what they are saying. I’m very introverted so I understand you. 

Yeah it’s not that we aren’t interested but it’s that we are scared of responding because we might blush and make a fool of ourselves. It’s not easy  

7 hours ago, Erosadams said:

Yeah it’s not that we aren’t interested but it’s that we are scared of responding because we might blush and make a fool of ourselves. It’s not easy  

That happens more when I speak to men, and it’s worse when they are attractive, I get so insecure. 😔

On 5/17/2021 at 3:57 PM, Erosadams said:

That must be hard for you, being misunderstood for something that's very difficult to control. I hope you're well and I wish you have or will eventually meet some few good friend that can understand or even help you to better manage the condition <3. I remember watching this condition on Grey's and that episode made me realize how terrifying it would be to be completely transparent with your feelings/nervousness to literally everyone. They fixed it with surgery but of course it's a tv series, I'm sure it's not as simple, as the risks of surgery are quite huge. I hope medicine and therapy could help you better in the near future. Wish you all the love!

• ★ Moderator
On 5/17/2021 at 8:06 PM, Erosadams said:

Yes concentrating on something is supposed to help. My therapist suggested that I focus on my breathing. Tbh it doesn’t always work bug I am trying.  We’re not alone even though its hard to find others with this issue. There is a facebook group called iblush where we alla share our stories if you’re interested. 

Breathing might help, ill try that too. Theres a fb group? omg ill join :) 

Did anybody watch The Me You Can’t See? Prince Harry talked about his blushing when he had anxiety in public. So glad someone famous finally talks about it. 

33 minutes ago, Erosadams said:

Did anybody watch The Me You Can’t See? Prince Harry talked about his blushing when he had anxiety in public. So glad someone famous finally talks about it. 

I know right? After watching it now I understand him more. 

Just checking in about my social anxiety/severe blushing. I just started a new job and having a lot of eyes on me makes it very hard with my blushing. Especially with the masks that make my face heat up even more. 
love you guys 💕

• Love 1
On 5/26/2021 at 12:13 AM, Erosadams said:

Just checking in about my social anxiety/severe blushing. I just started a new job and having a lot of eyes on me makes it very hard with my blushing. Especially with the masks that make my face heat up even more. 
love you guys 💕

Don't worry my dear. Everything will be okay! I wish you the best ans success on your new work! Love you too! LM_-_Fozzi_Bear_002.PNG.png.c93ca681e40159eda22d3fe7c8f2067b.png🥰

That must be very hard with you! I understand you become I blush so easily. 

I blush so much that it becomes very easy to read me. Something embarrassing happens, even if it's a slight inconvenience and my whole face turns red. It's something which I wish I could change. And when the focus is on me, even though I'm extroverted by nature, my cheeks don't hold back at all and go beetroot red. 

The only advice I can give you is that you should try to not think about it. Because there have been often instances where I go 'oh f*ck I'm going to blush now' and just thinking about it makes me blush. So just keep telling yourself that you're fine and that nothing's going to happen

• Love 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 8:46 PM, dafniye said:

That must be very hard with you! I understand you become I blush so easily. 

I blush so much that it becomes very easy to read me. Something embarrassing happens, even if it's a slight inconvenience and my whole face turns red. It's something which I wish I could change. And when the focus is on me, even though I'm extroverted by nature, my cheeks don't hold back at all and go beetroot red. 

The only advice I can give you is that you should try to not think about it. Because there have been often instances where I go 'oh f*ck I'm going to blush now' and just thinking about it makes me blush. So just keep telling yourself that you're fine and that nothing's going to happen

Thank you! I think it switches when it turns into a phobia. It’s like being scared of spiders or snakes, you can’t really just not think about it. It’s easier for some, harder for others but at least we’re all trying to make it. Paw up