How social media affects your reality?

Tony

• ★ Senior Moderator

Hello everyone, continuing with the Mental Health Awareness Month activities, today we will talk about Social Media and how it affects our reality. 

My best friend sent me this video yesterday and it is really interesting since I felt identified in the little sketch the creator made in this video, social media has been part of my depression and anxiety. I really believe that must of people insecurities is because of what we seen on social media. 

We have to detox our social media, it’s okay to unfollow, it’s okay to block, it’s okay to uninstall an app. Just do anything you think will do the best for you. Social Media is not going to disappear, but we can control it and manage it responsibly. 

Do you feel identified with the video? Have you tried to stay away from social media? Let’s discuss! 

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

• Tony changed the title to How social media affects your reality?
4 hours ago, PMM said:

i don't have problem with social media. my daily time on my phone and computer is 2-3 hours 

That's good to know. But some people don't, and it's very hard to get out from there. 

I have felt this certain pressure from my social media regarding how I should look, and I have to admit I have not been a mature enough person to ignore that yet. 

Gaga said it herself, "Social Media is the toilet of internet." and frankly enough, even though I love it and unfortunately spend a lot of my time on it, I agree with her. There's a lot of toxicity in it and it changes you as a whole. 

I have been trying to reduce my screen timing, but it gets a bit hard sometimes. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! 
I have to say that it kinda gets me furhter away from reality. Especially stan twitter. like i feel more "connected" thematically with the people on twitter than my irl friends. 

At the same time it gives me extreme mental health issues because the app and some parts of the fandom are sooo toxic... 

I want to leave, but also want to stay cuz there´s some good people on it.. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • ★ Senior Moderator
On 5/20/2021 at 5:07 PM, Triconoutsold said:

Hi! 
I have to say that it kinda gets me furhter away from reality. Especially stan twitter. like i feel more "connected" thematically with the people on twitter than my irl friends. 

At the same time it gives me extreme mental health issues because the app and some parts of the fandom are sooo toxic... 

I want to leave, but also want to stay cuz there´s some good people on it.. 

it might be hard to letting all go, but it’s good to have little social media breaks. 

Personally, I feel like I've lost some parts of myself and my personality to social media. Sometimes I can't even think something without feeling the need to get approval of it, or to modify that thought to fit everyone else's ideal. Definitely am actively working to get myself off social media, so I can get back to being at peace in my own mind.

• ★ Senior Moderator
On 6/18/2021 at 1:03 AM, mommymommygirl said:

Personally, I feel like I've lost some parts of myself and my personality to social media. Sometimes I can't even think something without feeling the need to get approval of it, or to modify that thought to fit everyone else's ideal. Definitely am actively working to get myself off social media, so I can get back to being at peace in my own mind.

I understand you. Social Media has affected my self steem A LOT. I really want to quit my profiles, but idk. 

My problem is that I feel pressure on social media for how it should look. Everyone shows a beautiful version of themselves and sometimes it is unreal. But sometimes I ignore that and try to meet the level of beauty to get validation from others. And not meeting expectations is very frustrating.

And to see myself better I use instagram filters for example, and I abuse them so much, because I can't see myself well, that when I see my face without filters it horrifies me. it's a very toxic loop.

• ★ Senior Moderator
11 hours ago, Antoniononon said:

And to see myself better I use instagram filters for example, and I abuse them so much, because I can't see myself well, that when I see my face without filters it horrifies me. it's a very toxic loop.

OMG same 😭😭😭 I do use filters to “look better” people tell me I look good, but I don’t believe it. I still have to work on my self-esteem. 

• Love 1

15 hours ago, Tony said:

OMG same 😭😭😭 I do use filters to “look better” people tell me I look good, but I don’t believe it. I still have to work on my self-esteem. 

me too, hope you do well <3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Thor said:

Besides the time I spend watching videos, it doesn't affect much.

Luckily I only go online to work, interact with the fanbase and watch news.