Instagram lets users filter out abusive messages

dafniye

Instagram has announced the launch of a tool to enable users to automatically filter out abusive messages from those they do not follow on the platform.

It follows a number of footballers speaking out about experiencing racist, sexist and other abuse on Instagram.

Direct messages (DMs) containing words or emojis deemed offensive will be removed from view.

The tool will be available in the UK, France, Ireland, Germany, Australia, New Zealand and Canada within weeks.

More countries will then receive the relevant update in the coming months.

"Because DMs are private conversations, we don't proactively look for hate speech or bullying the same way we do elsewhere," Instagram blogged.

The tool focused on message requests from people users did not already follow “because this is where people usually receive abusive messages”, it added.

More on :

https://bbc.in/2QH0Wxs

I think this is a great step. Too many people receive abuse content in their messages because they fear of being reported if they say that same stuff on comments etc. Social media can be very vicious, and the more steps taken to prevent that harassment, the better.

2 hours ago, Giulia Monster said:

FINALLYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! I really hate this, I keep getting random messages on instagram, it's very annoying! Fake people just put me in random groups..it's horrible. 

Omg those bot groups... Once my mother was added to one and she asked me what was happening and I didn't know how to answer that 😭😭 the profile pictures they have...