Apple Music pays a penny per stream on average

dafniye

Apple Music pays out around a cent per stream, according to a new report from The Verge. Their competitor, Spotify, pays out a half-a-cent or sometimes one-third. 

Spotify hates talking about per stream items because they feel like it's misleading. Spotify and Apple Music's business models are different as well. Spotify offers an ad-supported version while Apple Music is subscription only.

Spotify has 345 million total users, of which 155 million are paying Spotify Premium customers. Apple has “more than 60 million subscribers” as of June 2019, and more recent estimates have it at 72 million.

More on :

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/16/22387453/apple-music-artist-payment-rate-per-stream-vs-spotify

What are your thoughts on this? Most artists can't make a living on streams alone. And it's really unjust to pay then a cent or half per stream.

• ★ Senior Moderator

Both don't pair fairly, to be honest. But in the end this is a victory against piracy, because illegal downloads were higher back in the day. So, it's not fair in terms of payment but it's a legal way to listen to music. And artists now find other ways to win money in the music industry, but independent artists are the ones who struggle with this situation. 

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

26 minutes ago, Tony said:

Both don't pair fairly, to be honest. But in the end this is a victory against piracy, because illegal downloads were higher back in the day. So, it's not fair in terms of payment but it's a legal way to listen to music. And artists now find other ways to win money in the music industry, but independent artists are the ones who struggle with this situation. 

Exactly. I think the most beneficial way for an artist to earn is through concerts. And since concerts did not happen this past year, artists' earnings must have seen a loss. 

5 hours ago, Tony said:

I totally agree!! Before these streaming platforms EVERYONE downloaded music illegally, so having them has really changed artists earnings for the better, and I think it’s a better way to get to know independent artists.

Of course it’s not much money, especially for new artists who are not well known. But if I think about artists like Gaga, they would live even without those money (which if not so little if there are millions of fans streaming songs every day all around the world), and there are so many ways for them to get money (selling merch, albums, go on tour, do commercials, promote other stuff, etc.).

But of course, it should be fair to pay artists enough for the work they do, cause not everyone is Gaga, or Justin Bieber, or Madonna, or Billie Eilish).

Speaking as a user, I would say

SPOTIFY >> Apple Music  🤣

• ★ Senior Moderator
3 minutes ago, Giulia Monster said:

SPOTIFY >> Apple Music  🤣

Facts are facts. Spotify is better for me. And I’ve been using it since 2015 and I wouldn’t change it. I’ve tried every streaming service and I wouldn’t change it. Even though, for me Tidal is the best. But I won’t leave Spotify. 

4 hours ago, Giulia Monster said:

SPOTIFY >> Apple Music

Preach. Spotify is so much better. But then again, I don't have apple music so I dunno that either 😂😂

1 hour ago, dafniye said:

Preach. Spotify is so much better. But then again, I don't have apple music so I dunno that either 😂😂

I think I did the free trial a while ago. But I love Spotify much more, and I use it all the time, especially on my computer. I downloaded the app on my laptop, ad even if I don't have Premium at the moment, I can listen to all the songs I want, and skip them whenever I want, all for free. There some ads but they are very short.

I think that with Apple Music you can't use it for free, you only have a free trial and then when it's done you always have to pay. I'm not a 100% sure tho.

• TEA 1

• ★ Senior Moderator
2 hours ago, Giulia Monster said:

I think I did the free trial a while ago. But I love Spotify much more, and I use it all the time, especially on my computer. I downloaded the app on my laptop, ad even if I don't have Premium at the moment, I can listen to all the songs I want, and skip them whenever I want, all for free. There some ads but they are very short.

I think that with Apple Music you can't use it for free, you only have a free trial and then when it's done you always have to pay. I'm not a 100% sure tho.

Spotify and Deezer are the only ones with free services, I think. But Spotify is way better since you can play and skip any songs on a computer and a tablet with a few ads, and is not that annoying as YouTube 9FE61B22-8077-4779-A546-711907BEDEA2.png.40f4e5282f8165577ced65c778ca8a59.png

The only time I used apple music was to buy ARTPOP like a couple of weeks ago, I used my sister's iPad for that 😂

And I didn't like the features that much. Spotify on the other hand has so many cool features. I love the lyrics it has on the bottom, and the artists' page etc. 

I couldn't bear the ads of Spotify at all. They were so annoying 

• ★ Senior Moderator
2 minutes ago, dafniye said:

The only time I used apple music was to buy ARTPOP like a couple of weeks ago, I used my sister's iPad for that 😂

And I didn't like the features that much. Spotify on the other hand has so many cool features. I love the lyrics it has on the bottom, and the artists' page etc. 

I couldn't bear the ads of Spotify at all. They were so annoying 

Spotify UI is more easy and friendly to use. That’s why it has so many users. And now with the podcast integration it’s way better. Because Apple Music and Apple Podcasts are separated, and Spotify has music and podcasts in the same place. 

Spotify is way better in every way. I think Apple costs way more than Spotify too.

But then Apple pays more to the artists than Spotify. Just half a cent 😂

24 minutes ago, chimera2.0 said:

I read somewhere that some artists even accepted to be paid less for Spotify to promote their music.

Let me guess, independant artists? How less can be less enough. 

• ★ Senior Moderator
43 minutes ago, Giulia Monster said:

yeah exactly!! YouTube ads are so annoying, especially when they come up in the middle of the video!!! Ugh :eww:

I hate that. I really hate that. You might me laughing and enjoying a video and an ad comes up like F4128C5E-8A97-48F3-872B-A6C97A3C2FF2.jpeg.855c703a1e1bbb06fa3cf81a2ebc43c2.jpeg

yeah exactly!! YouTube ads are so annoying, especially when they come up in the middle of the video!!! Ugh :eww:

And they always come before an interesting part. Like the climax of the video builds up and boom! An ad.