George Floyd: Jury finds Derek Chauvin guilty of murder

dafniye

A jury has found a former police officer guilty of murder over the death of African-American George Floyd on a Minneapolis street last year.

Derek Chauvin, 45, was filmed kneeling on Mr Floyd's neck for more than nine minutes during his arrest last May.

The widely watched footage sparked worldwide protests against racism and excessive use of force by police.

Chauvin was found guilty on three charges: second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter.

He will remain in custody until he is sentenced and could spend decades in jail.

Live updates: Reaction as Chauvin found guilty

The last 30 minutes of George Floyd's life

Five key moments from the trial

The 12-member jury took less than a day to reach their verdict, which followed a highly-charged, three-week trial that left Minneapolis on edge.

After both sides presented closing arguments on Monday, the jury was isolated in a hotel with no outside contact so they could deliberate on a verdict, a process known as sequestration.

Jurors had to agree unanimously and were told they could not return home until they had made their decision.

The verdict prompted celebratory scenes outside the court, where several hundred people cheered as it was announced.

The Floyd family's lawyer, Ben Crump, said it marked a "turning point in history" for the United States.

"Painfully earned justice has finally arrived," he tweeted. [It] sends a clear message on the need for accountability of law enforcement."

Source : BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56818766

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, Giulia Monster said:

That’s great news!

This is really good step ahead, but unfortunately there’s still so much to do.

👊🏾 BLM 👊🏾 #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd 🙏🏾

Exactly. There's still a lot to do. But this is one step towards betterment! ❤️

I’m so glad the Floyd Family got the justice they deserve. It’s still upsets me so much knowing George Floyd’s life was so horrifically taken from him. This verdict is a step in the right direction but there’s still so much work that needs to be done. We have to end this rotten system of policing in America.

• TEA 1

• ★ Moderator

Finally! :cheering:

I'm so appalled by the way he mistreated George, and by the way so many black people are mistreated in general. I honestly can't imagine how it must have felt to have someone kneeling on his neck, and especially for so long. And the fact that he wouldn't get off him when George specifically told him that he couldn't breathe, just disgusts me to a point that I can't even describe. I'm so glad Derek was charged guilty. The whole event must have been so traumatising to George's family and friends, and anyone else who knew him in real life, too. There's way too much violence in this world, including racism and all other forms of bullying, especially towards black people. As Meryl Streep once said... Disrespect invites disrespect, violence incites violence. And when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose. And I have to agree with her on this, because this situation has made me think "The part where she says Disrespect invites disrespect, violence incites violence is like, when you hear one story like this, all of a sudden you start to hear more and more and more. And the part where she says when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose it makes me think of Derek as being the "powerful" person in this situation (because he believed that he was more powerful than George because he was a white police officer and George was black, which of course is completely untrue, because every person is equal, regardless of their job, age, race, sexuality, gender, etc) and makes me think that the part where she says we all lose is almost like saying that everyone loses in a way, because seeing another human being being mistreated like the way people such as George, Breonna Taylor, Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Walter Scott, Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, Stephon Clarke, Daunte Wright, and so many others were mistreated, just makes the whole world feel sad and upset because innocent people are losing their lives, and innocent families and friends are losing their loved ones for no reason."

I'm not sure if what I'm saying here makes sense, but it sort of made sense in my head.

B.L.M

images.png

images-1.png

images.jpeg

images-2.png

• Love 1
  • TEA 1

16 minutes ago, little_monster_amy said:

I'm so appalled by the way he mistreated George, and by the way so many black people are mistreated in general. I honestly can't imagine how it must have felt to have someone kneeling on his neck, and especially for so long. And the fact that he wouldn't get off him when George specifically told him that he couldn't breathe, just disgusts me to a point that I can't even describe. I'm so glad Derek was charged guilty. The whole event must have been so traumatising to George's family and friends, and anyone else who knew him in real life, too. There's way too much violence in this world, including racism and all other forms of bullying, especially towards black people. As Meryl Streep once said... Disrespect invites disrespect, violence incites violence. And when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose. And I have to agree with her on this, because this situation has made me think "The part where she says Disrespect invites disrespect, violence incites violence is like, when you hear one story like this, all of a sudden you start to hear more and more and more. And the part where she says when the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose it makes me think of Derek as being the "powerful" person in this situation (because he believed that he was more powerful than George because he was a white police officer and George was black, which of course is completely untrue, because every person is equal, regardless of their job, age, race, sexuality, gender, etc) and makes me think that the part where she says we all lose is almost like saying that everyone loses in a way, because seeing another human being being mistreated like the way people such as George, Breonna Taylor, Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Tamir Rice, Walter Scott, Alton Sterling, Philando Castile, Stephon Clarke, Daunte Wright, and so many others were mistreated, just makes the whole world feel sad and upset because innocent people are losing their lives, and innocent families and friends are losing their loved ones for no reason."

I'm not sure if what I'm saying here makes sense, but it sort of made sense in my head.

B.L.M

images.png

images-1.png

images.jpeg

images-2.png

I loved reading all you said. It made perfect sense. I also can't fathom what it must be like to that disgusting moment be the last one you lived. It broke my heart when I read that he was calling out for his mama during his last breaths. Hopefully he's at peace now. 

• Love 1

• ★ Senior Moderator

As @Giulia Monster said, there's still more to do. George will never be forgotten. Justice might take time, but arrives. 

• Love 1

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

8 hours ago, little_monster_amy said:

B.L.M

images.png

images-1.png

images.jpeg

images-2.png

It totally makes sense, and I completely agree with you.
I still have that moment, when Chauvin kneels on George's neck, stuck in my mind. And I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
I cannot believe how black people are treated, and I cannot believe that when a white guy does so much worse and is violent, the police just manage to take him, while if he's a black man, they mistreat him, beat him,...or worse, even if he wasn't being violent, just like George Floyd. This really disgust me!
Police must be educated, people must be educated.
I cannot understand why it is so difficult to live peacefully in this world...

• Love 1

• ★ Senior Moderator

What about the other officers?

I know this verdict starts a new chapter. This is an important precedent but, at the end of the day, it's just remedy not justice, it's still the system that needs to be changed (or destroyed).

another shot before we kiss the otherside!