Climate change / Global warming

Tony

• ★ Senior Moderator

Hello everyone. I’m very concerned about climate change and how it affects us. Currently it’s summer in my country and I really don’t like hot days. During summer I’m always in a bad mood. 

But what really concerns me is the rising of the temperature, Honduras’ weather is tropical, so we only have summer and winter. And climate change not Only affects my country, it affects all the world. 

Last year we had two hurricanes; ETA & IOTA, and they were very horrible. A lot of people died and must of all the people in Sula Valley lost and partially lost their homes.

What do you think about climate change and how It affects us? If you don’t believe in climate change you can also share your opinion. This is an open discussion. 

• TEA 1

I think when love is pure you try to understand the reasons why…

I also live in tropical weather. Here I can't even differentiate when the summer is really starting because the climate cycle has changed so much. It's really depressing how serious this issue is yet not enough people seriously care abt this. However, I don't know much how I can help the earth except for the basic individual habit to care a little bit better. Is there anything you know of that can help? I'm happy to learn more things.

• Love 1

• ★ Senior Moderator
9 minutes ago, Steff said:

I also live in tropical weather. Here I can't even differentiate when the summer is really starting because the climate cycle has changed so much. It's really depressing how serious this issue is yet not enough people seriously care abt this. However, I don't know much how I can help the earth except for the basic individual habit to care a little bit better. Is there anything you know of that can help? I'm happy to learn more things.

Exactly. You’re 100% right. If we don’t make a change, everything will get worse. Since school I’ve learned how to take care of the environment. But if other people continue with their bad behavior, nothing will change for good. 

• TEA 1
  • Sad 1

One thing I dislike about the whole climate change movement is how the big incorporations and industries push us to care about the climate yet they're doing the exact opposite. I'm all in favor of using less plastic and more organic materials, but this just irks me that even though what we use does make a difference to the whole thing, the industries contributions are 10x worse than ours.

• ★ Senior Moderator
31 minutes ago, dafniye said:

One thing I dislike about the whole climate change movement is how the big incorporations and industries push us to care about the climate yet they're doing the exact opposite. I'm all in favor of using less plastic and more organic materials, but this just irks me that even though what we use does make a difference to the whole thing, the industries contributions are 10x worse than ours.

Yes! That was I was going to say! Big corporations are a little bit hypocrite about this. Just a few ones make a difference about it. 

• TEA 1

16 minutes ago, tony said:

Yes! That was I was going to say! Big corporations are a little bit hypocrite about this. Just a few ones make a difference about it. 

Exactly. And then people are like, 'oh if they are doing it, then maybe it doesn't effect the climate at all and it's a hoax'. Something's gotta change

• ★ Senior Moderator
3 hours ago, dafniye said:

Exactly. And then people are like, 'oh if they are doing it, then maybe it doesn't effect the climate at all and it's a hoax'. Something's gotta change

Yes, they are just pretending to do something. And the media presents them as agents of change, but some of them are just liars. And baby, we don't like fake people. :end:

13 minutes ago, tony said:

Yes, they are just pretending to do something. And the media presents them as agents of change, but some of them are just liars. And baby, we don't like fake people. :end:

Really boils my blood. It's really unfair how wealthy people aren't answerable to anyone. They think that they can do whatever they want and get away with it. It's time corporations are held accountable for all their deeds and contributions to the global warming

• Love 1

• ★ Senior Moderator

I just read this, and I'm very concerned. 

'Africa suffers worst impacts of climate change'

Despite emitting the lowest amount of carbon per capita in the world, Africa suffers the worst of the impacts of climate change, including droughts and floods, locust and pest invasions, according to the head of the African Development Bank Group (AfDB).

Speaking at the Leaders Summit on Climate via videoconference on Thursday, Akinwumi Adesina said the AfDB has committed $25 billion to climate finance over the next four years.

"Our share of financing devoted to climate rose from 9% in 2016 to 35% in 2019 and we will reach 40% in 2021," Adesina added.

Gabon's President Ali Bongo Ondimba said the fight against climate change must be intensified and serve as a development opportunity for Africa.

"Developing countries often suffer the most from the devastating effects of climate change in the form of drought, extreme storms and rising sea levels," according to South African President Cyril Ramaphosa.

"Consequently, developed economies have a responsibility to support developing economies to enable them to mitigate and adapt to climate change," Ramaphosa added.

He said South Africa's emissions will begin to decline from 2025, effectively bringing the country's emissions decline a decade forward.

Read Full Article.

• Sad 1

The developed countries create the problems and then the developing countries are the ones who suffer the consequences. Poor them. I wonder how they're going to cope with the drought and famines due to it. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2021 at 11:19 PM, Tony said:

I just read this, and I'm very concerned. 

'Africa suffers worst impacts of climate change'

Despite emitting the lowest amount of carbon per capita in the world, Africa suffers the worst of the impacts of climate change, including droughts and floods, locust and pest invasions, according to the head of the African Development Bank Group (AfDB).

Speaking at the Leaders Summit on Climate via videoconference on Thursday, Akinwumi Adesina said the AfDB has committed $25 billion to climate finance over the next four years.

"Our share of financing devoted to climate rose from 9% in 2016 to 35% in 2019 and we will reach 40% in 2021," Adesina added.

Gabon's President Ali Bongo Ondimba said the fight against climate change must be intensified and serve as a development opportunity for Africa.

"Developing countries often suffer the most from the devastating effects of climate change in the form of drought, extreme storms and rising sea levels," according to South African President Cyril Ramaphosa.

"Consequently, developed economies have a responsibility to support developing economies to enable them to mitigate and adapt to climate change," Ramaphosa added.

He said South Africa's emissions will begin to decline from 2025, effectively bringing the country's emissions decline a decade forward.

Read Full Article.

It's really disappointing. Even my lecturer once said, "sadly, emmision level is one solid indicator for country's growth. It seriously has direct relation to the country's production, technology, and thus, economy." It is pretty sick to have to accept this situation, while also facing the fact that the worst impact from the climate issues are suffered by the developing countries. Not to mention the animals, it was too heartbreaking when we had to watch the australian wildfire not too long ago. "Dozens of people died in Australia's 2019-2020 bushfire season, which was one of the worst on record. More than 10 million hectares of land burned and over a billion animals are estimated to have died, with many species pushed close to extinction." -CNN. It was so painful watching a lot of action taken to try save the wild animals as much as possible. I live in a developing countries and I can assure you, if something that terrifying happens to my country, there will be very minimal animal-saving acts as we don't have enough resources, enough awareness, and not the greatest government too. We are very far behind in terms of technology, resources, education or simply awareness of these pressing issues. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 4:30 PM, Steff said:

It's really disappointing. Even my lecturer once said, "sadly, emmision level is one solid indicator for country's growth. It seriously has direct relation to the country's production, technology, and thus, economy." It is pretty sick to have to accept this situation, while also facing the fact that the worst impact from the climate issues are suffered by the developing countries. Not to mention the animals, it was too heartbreaking when we had to watch the australian wildfire not too long ago. "Dozens of people died in Australia's 2019-2020 bushfire season, which was one of the worst on record. More than 10 million hectares of land burned and over a billion animals are estimated to have died, with many species pushed close to extinction." -CNN. It was so painful watching a lot of action taken to try save the wild animals as much as possible. I live in a developing countries and I can assure you, if something that terrifying happens to my country, there will be very minimal animal-saving acts as we don't have enough resources, enough awareness, and not the greatest government too. We are very far behind in terms of technology, resources, education or simply awareness of these pressing issues. 

Exactly, you're right. I live in a developing country too, but is not always the government's fault, it is all people's fault. Since they don't worry about the environment and also ignore the consequences.